Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Redemption

"I will say unto the Light, Thou art my hope, and my stronghold; in you will I trust. For You shall deliver me from the snare of the hunter, and from the noisome pestilence. You shall defend me under your wings, and I shalt be safe under your feathers; your faithfulness and truth shall be my shield and buckler. I shalt not be afraid for any terror by night, nor for the arrow that flieth by day; for the pestilence that walketh in darkness, nor for the sickness that destroyeth in the noon-day. A thousand shall fall beside me , and ten thousand at my right hand; but it shall not come nigh me."

Laandra snapped the book closed just in time, when she heard steps behind her.
These humans followed different ways to worship Light than her people did, yet she had found their prayers and services to be reassuring and pleasant. Why had she felt the need to open it right then, she didn't knew.

The morning sunshine surrounded her, as she stood near the window, now fully dressed in a simple robe, her hair neatly tied at the back of the head. The chest wound had proven much less of nuisance than she would have thought. A clean runecloth bandage and some potions to replenish her strength had done wonders.

"Blessed are those that are undefiled in the way, and walk in the law of the Light."

She stood there, her hands neatly folded over the book in her lap,which Erieannan had recognized, with a sort of overwhelming sickness. A Book of Prayers.

He had heard her reading out loud earlier, and even if the words were utterly familiar, he could find no meaning in them. Yet the ritual answer had come to his lips as if it had never ceased to pray.

"Have mercy upon me after thy great goodness; according to the multitude of thy mercies do away mine offences. Wash me throughly from my wickedness, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my faults, and my sin is ever before me."

He shrugged.

" I wish it were true", he whispered. " That it would be as simple as to kneel and say the words and be purified of all the shadow that lies in me."

" But it ain't. And I have to live with that."

A sudden noise somewhere outside made them both jump, almost scared. Erieannan dashed down the stairs to see what it was and Laandra heard him curse in Thalassian.

" T'was only a cat! Stupid Voidwalker....!"

She closed her eyes, enjoying the light and the warmth of the sun on her face, now fully at peace with her resolution.

She was to go and confess to Velen. Tell him about all that had happened. Ask for forgiveness. He'll agree to withdraw the assignment, she knew it well, so as to restore freedom to her conscience. That was what she should have done from the very beginning, instead of lying and hiding from her responsibilities.

" This is so" Laandra thought, "that there are so many paths of shadow and corruption, but only one path of the Light and that is truth..."

3 comments:

bluemoon said...

ok.... but he will not lift the assignments... because it was her duty to fight for the light and she will have to kill him... or convert him.

Ellis said...

you really wanna see those to fight to the death, don't ya?

case in which poor girl will die, cause he's stronger and a warlock...

well, we shall see...brace yourself for a surprise with the next post...:)) (grin)

bluemoon said...

Why not... he may have a change of heart in the middle of the battle and let her live... :)) and a really evil grin