Saturday, January 05, 2008

Out of fear

Strength lasted enough to make it out of the Undercity.

Not sufficiently to be able to summon his felsteed.

He just walked blindly on the road, once the main way to the Capital of Lordaeron, now decayed and covered in grass. Daria followed him closely, her knees badly shaking and ghostly pale.

It actually lasted enough to get out of sight from the ruins of the city, before sending him to vomit into the bushes. He retched violently, feeling the utter coldness of the ground under his hands, spreading further, into his being. He couldn't remember feeling so sick ever. Weakness made him stagger when he was finally able to pull himself back up.

Drained as he was, Daria's paleness scared him. He put a trembling hand on her shoulder, then pulled her closer, into something awkwardly resembling an embrace.

Only then did she start to cry.

"Shhhh..." Erieannan whispered. "It's ok. We're both ok...Pain goes away soon..."

However, she kept crying, her hands now tightly wrapped around his neck. Never had he seen her so utterly shaken, not even when she was a fifteen years old girl, whose family had just been slaughtered by abominations.

" I should have done something..." she mumbled, sobs making her words almost indistinguishable. "I'm no coward...Ei'an..you know that...I shoud've at least tried to fight ya...but I was scared, so scared...never been so scared...just laid there and waited...for ya to finish me up..."

" She just wanted to teach me a lesson. Show me how vulnerable I am. Make me taste despair so I go along with her plans, unconditionally...Daria...she couldn't have broken me so easily..."

"Yet, I was scared" she sobbed into his shirt. "I'm not afraid to die...just not you, not you, do you understand? I was really, really afraid..."

Erieannan's hand reluctantly touched her cheek, wiping away some of the tears. He was in no condition to comfort her, he thought, the void within suddenly threatening to swallow him.

"Oooh", he sighed, pulling Daria closer, and hoping his dizziness will not send them both to the ground. " I was afraid too..."

No comments: